Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Next up... Kidney Failure?


Over the past couple weeks Harmonee has been in and out of the hospital for dehydration. I figured this was just because she had been sick. The second time she went in for fluids I was a little sad since I thought the minimum amount of fluid intake might not have been enough to suffice the winter colds and illnesses. Along with a very low blood count, and finding this blood in her stool I was getting a little nervous as to what this could mean. Not to mention the constant flash back of before transplant the day she was admitted to the ICU.

Verdict:
Stool samples and urine culture's were taken both coming back with a positive for ecoli. Of all things. Like I said before... if you can get it, Harmonee will. How did she get this?... Believe me, I  am still trying to figure that one out myself. What are the side affects?... Possible Kidney failure! Awesome. How do you get rid of it?... By taking all antibiotics away.

Dont worry I was a little confused myself.

Time for Action:
For starters. Ecoli causes kidney failure. This is especially vital to Harmonee since her kidneys have already taken the mother of all beatings. But also vital to ALL transplantees because of our best friend... Prograf. Prograf is a tricky medicine. If it becomes to high, your kidneys fail, but too low too soon, your liver (in Harm's case) with reject. Therefore it is time to pick and choose organs... doctor book is decreasing the prograf to give Harmonee's kidneys a much needed break.

Unfortunetly we just have to wait this out. There are NO antibiotics that will take it away. Oddly enough, antibiotics make ecoli worse. Go figure. So all antibiotics were discontinued. Including the antibiotics she was on for the prograf in case if she got sick.

Where are we at now?:
The ecoli is already starting to affect her kidneys, so we are keeping close eye on them. I keep a log of urine and bowl output. Colors, frequency, and amount. We are doing labs every other day. Todays labs came back to show that ther kidneys have declined even more.

The optimistic approuch:
If her kidneys don't take to much of a hit, they will bounce back faster then if they are hit harder then hoped. I am also hoping that in the long run her kidneys will bounce back with out having a liver repeat. On a brighter note... Liver is doing AWESOME!


Bored of being in the ER.

Never lets it get her down!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad the doctors could figure out what was going on. We pray she gets better quickly! She's adorable in her monkey pajamas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Harm...I hope you get better soon! I miss you guys and I wish you the very best! Harm is such a big girl and so adorable! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope she is better...

    Alice (Martim´s mum)

    ReplyDelete